Level 1 Trauma Studies
From 2011 to 2018, 10 peer-reviewed medical studies from Level 1 Trauma centers spanning the county—the Northeast, Southeast, South, Southwest and West Coast regions—all report similar findings. Pit bulls are inflicting the highest prevalence of injuries. The majority of these studies also show that pit bulls are inflicting the highest severity of injuries, including a study from Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, which serves a five state region:
Ocular Trauma From Dog Bites: Characterization, Associations, and Treatment Patterns at a Regional Level I Trauma Center Over 11 Years.
Conclusions: To our knowledge, this study is the largest to date to report the incidence and characteristics of ocular injuries sustained from dog bites. These injuries were disproportionately more common in children and have a high incidence of canalicular laceration. Though rare, globe injuries and orbital fractures were seen in this population. Importantly, this study establishes that pit bulls are the most frequent breed associated with ocular injuries from dog bites.
Selected Findings: Patients who sustained dog bite injuries between 2003 and 2013 were identified in the Harborview Medical Center trauma registry using E-code 906.0. This yielded 342 patients on whom a detailed chart review was performed … The pit bull was the canine breed most associated with dog bite injuries in the trauma registry, documented as being responsible in more than 1 of 4 injuries (Fig. 1A) … Among dogs unknown to patients (stranger), pit bulls were responsible for 60% of these injuries.
The data set was then divided into patients sustaining or not-sustaining ocular injuries. Ninety-one patients (27%) sustained ocular injuries, while 251 (73%) did not. Of the 91 patients who sustained ocular injuries, 59% were male and 41% were female … Small children represented most of the ocular injuries with 68% being younger than 10 years. Pit bulls were again responsible for 1 in 4 ocular injuries.
By Prendes MA, Jian-Amadi A, Chang SH and Shaftel SS, Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg, 2016 Jul-Aug;32(4):279-83 [June 2015, Epub].
Level 1 Trauma Center Studies Characterizing Dog Bite Injuries Across Major U.S. Geographical Regions (2011-2018) – DogsBite.orgDownload Trauma Center Literature Review
Fatal Dog Bite Injuries
In the 13-year period of January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2017, canines killed at least 433 Americans. Pit bulls contributed to 66% of these deaths, according to research by DogsBite.org, a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing serious dog attacks. Rottweilers, the second leading canine killer, inflicted 10% of attacks that resulted in human death. Combined, two dog breeds accounted for 76% of the total recorded deaths.
This report from the nonprofit examines the breeds of dogs involved in fatal attacks on humans, age groups and genders of the victims, the number of dogs involved, family and dog relationships, property statistics, household and time factors, criminal prosecutions following lethal dog attacks and states with the most occurrences. The report also examines the changing metrics in U.S. fatal dog attacks since the CDC last examined this issue (1979 to 1998).Download Dog Bite Fatality Report (2005-2017)